Microbiology & Quality Associates (MQA) offers a comprehensive list of cell culture assays and services for biotechnology companies. We provide flexibility, 7 day operations to help you meet your deadlines, and expertise to ensure your project is a success. We can develop and validate the assay to meet GLP or GMP requirements. MQA staff has over 30 years of combined hands-on experience in cell culture at major biotechnology companies. In addition, we are FDA registered and inspected for GMP testing services.
Cell cultures represent a standard in vitro model in biomedical research. Without the need of using laboratory animals, they allow for the complex study of cellular mechanisms, both under physiological, and experimental conditions. Their application ranges from the study of metabolic routes in basic research, to production of recombinant proteins in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries.
The techniques of working with cell cultures have been well established and at MQA as we have succeeded in establishing and standardizing a number of in vitro methodologies, which are now offered through our molecular services department.
We are happy to design a custom study for you if you do not see something that suits your needs below:
Primary cell line generation:
Primary cells are cells straight from the tissue with no passages. A primary cell culture may be composed of mixtures of cell types. Frequently, some of the cells may survive without proliferating, and will therefore be lost in the increasing population of those which are able to multiply in the conditions supplied in vitro.
Cells from explants may sometimes be converted to cell lines by passage. These may continue to proliferate for a number of cell generations.
MQA also offers cells for use of primary fibroblasts as feeder layers for the growth of some embryonic stem cell types. At MQA, our scientists can prepare primary cell lines from most tissues using our standard protocols. If you would like to implement a custom project, we would be happy to discuss your project specifications with you.
Cytotoxicity / Growth Assays:
Testing by MTT, XTT, or any customized approach, such as Alamar blue, is based on the ability of metabolically active cells to convert special dyes into measurable flurophores such as yellow tetrazolium salt, XTT, into orange formasan. Complex rinsing is thus avoided, which is necessary, for example, in the older MTT method. This guarantees high accuracy of the XTT test and allows for fast processing of the data obtained. The bioassay may also be used to establish relative, cytotoxicity of agents within various chemical classes. We can establish baseline data for predicting the toxicity of related novel agents by comparing such baseline data with known in vivo toxicity. The assay is simple to perform since the indicator is water soluble, thus eliminating the washing/fixing and extraction steps required in other commonly used cell proliferation assays.
Authentification by Isozyme Assay:
One of the major problems in cell culturing is the misidentification or cross-contamination of authentic continuous cell lines. Confirmation of purity and identity of cell cultures is a necessary step in the production of biotherapeutics. Working with several cell lines in the same facility can result in cross contamination while mislabeling of cultures can cause misidentification. The method is based on the isoelectric separation of a specific set of intracellular enzymes which can be used to distinguish between human, murine, or other mammalian cell lines.
Stable Cell Line Expression:
For either over or knock-down by shRNA. Stable cell lines with specific gene over-expression or knock-down are very helpful in gene function analysis, target discovery, target validation, assay development, and compound screening. MQA’s team of experienced scientists will work with you to establish the system to generate your particular cell line for your specific application. Since long-term suppression using pol III shRNAs can be problematic especially for studies of genes that are critical to cell proliferation and differentiation, we provide not only constitutive but also conditional knock-down.
MQA’s Service will provide you with:
- Your choice of a constitutive or inducible promoter, a tag, a selection marker and a fluorescent marker. Either you provide target templates or we design, synthesize, or obtain it from a cDNA collection.
- Clone your gene or shRNA into our lentiviral vector.
- Generate lentivirus.
- Transduce the cell line of interest.
- Select the stably transduced, high expression cells.
- Validate the genomic integration of the target by genomic PCR.
- Validate the high-expression clone by Western Blot (if applicable).
- Produce two cryogenic preserved vials of stable cells and a final report.
Why use MQA Cell Culture Services:
- Safe-to-use (self-inactivating) lentiviral particles can deliver your gene into a wide range of cell lines including non-dividing, primary or stem cells.
- Engineered in-house lentiviral vector for highly efficient gene integration into cell genome.
- Our lentivectors and standard C-type retroviral vectors have the strongest promoter for the highest protein expression in mammalian cells.
- You can choose to have an inducible or constitutive promoter.
- Our experts have years of experience in lentiviral cloning and expression.
- Fast turnaround time.
- The best price and the best quality in its class.
Other Cell Culture Based Services:
- Cell viability (cytotoxicity)
- Cell proliferation
- Cell adhesion
- Cell migration
- Cell invasion
- Cell shape change
- Soft Agar Colony Formation Assay
- Cell culture and expansion of various primary and cancer cells
- Receptor binding
- Adaptation of cell line to protein and serum free suspension growth
- Media growth promotion or evaluation studies for mammalian and bacterial cells
- Preparation of master and working cell bank and storage in liquid nitrogen.
- Cell culture small scale propagation using spinner flask, disposable TC flask, or 3-5 liter bioreactors.
- Frozen cell and material storage
- Custom studies
|Assay Description||Service Code|
|Cytotoxicity Testing Using Different Cell Lines||P01|
|USP Cytotoxicity Testing||P02|
|Cell Based Bioassays Testing and Development||P03|
|Tissue Culture Media Growth Promotion||P04|
|Isoenzyme Cell Identity Assay||P05|